Labelexpo Americas 2018 – Automation Arena and 1:1 appointment program as new features
Several new features will be part of this year’s Labelexpo Americas (25-27 September 2018, Chicago). This includes an Automation Arena, a 1:1 appointment program, and the return of the TLMI Ecovillage.
On display will be two automated press lines for digital (label) and conventional (shrink sleeve) label production, from job creation through to pre-press, printing, finishing and invoicing. There will be three 30-minute demonstrations on the first two days of the show and a further two on the last day.
The automated processes demonstrated will include:
- Job creation, artwork uploading and MIS order processing steps
- Pre-flighting, quality checks, proofing and customer approval
- Scheduling, ink and substrate checking, tool ordering and the sending of JDF files, ready for printing
- Conventional print runs with no gear cylinder connection, intelligent pressure setting and zero waste roll change
- Slitter and turret rewinding unit with fully automatic core cutter and waste removal system
- Batching, step and repeat and preparation of job identification, die-cut, inspection and turret rewinder barcodes
- Inline laser die-cutting unit
- Defect detection, laser die-cutting set-up and rewinder automation
- Warehousing, job picking, shipping carrier allocation, customer notification and invoicing
Automation Arena was introduced at Labelexpo Europe 2017 in Brussels, Belgium, and is now making its debut at Labelexpo Americas 2018 in Chicago, USA.
Shrink sleeve technology and workflow automation are also among the topics in focus at three Label Academy master classes, offered as part of the educational program at the show.
Also new for this year’s show and also the first for the Labelexpo Global Series is Labelexpo Connections, an attendee/exhibitor 1:1 appointment program. Registered show attendees undergo a matching process with exhibiting companies, which then leads to a series of 1:1 business meetings at Labelexpo Americas 2018.
Tasha Ventimiglia, Labelexpo Americas event director, commented: “We know that a driving factor for people choosing to visit the show is the opportunity to network and make new business connections, so we want to help them make the most of this opportunity and plan their time efficiently through the Labelexpo Connections personalized 1:1 appointment program.
Another feature of Labelexpo Americas 2018 will be the TLMI Ecovillage, designed to raise awareness of environmental issues in the sector and returning this year for the first time since 2012, so the organizer explains.
Sponsored by Convergen Energy, Channeled Resources Group and Avery Dennison, this area of the show will be displaying the latest products tackling this issue. To further highlight this, the waste matrix collected from the press demonstrations over the course of the show will be brought to the TLMI Ecovillage and baled. The material will then be sent to Convergen Energy who will make the waste into fuel pellets, which have a lower carbon footprint than fossil fuels.
TLMI Ecovillage will have a speaker each day to cover topics such as the new plastics economy and how it relates to labels; a global brand talking about how a label’s impact on package recyclability plays into product stewardship; and sustainable materials management-
Labelexpo Americas will take place at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, Rosemont, Illinois, from 25 to -27 September 2018.